OTHER WEBSITES ABOUT GREECE
- Backpacking in Hellas by David Webb has practical
information for getting around in Greece with an emphasis on its
archaeological sites and ancient history. Links are nicely categorized and
several personal travelogues are listed here.
- Magical Journey to
Greece is a guide to Greece and to modern Greek culture. Take some time to
browse as there is a lot of information tucked into this site.
- Greece by Heidi and Derek is one of our favorite personal photo journals on the web.
- Infopelago has a fabulous album of rarely seen views of
Greece. These photographs were taken on hiking trips and feature snowcapped
mountains, village houses, churches, wildflowers at springtime and the
monasteries of Meteora.
has a listing of licensed campsites in Greece. However, be aware that it is
not a complete listing.
- The Bike Experience is a very nice site that highlights bike trips to Corfu, Rhodes and Kefalonia.
- A Directory of Local Greek Mountaineering Clubs. These clubs
are the best sources of maps and Greek mountaineering information. Some have
scheduled excursions and treks and they make the arrangements for the use of
local mountain refuges.
describes the beauty and allure of Crete to all who enjoy nature and the
outdoors. There are some very nice photographs of Cretan mountain scenery as
well as helpful information for visitors. Dr. Ioannis Samatas, the webmaster,
is a member of the Mountaineering Club of Iraklion and on request, he will
provide details about their weekend excursions that are open to the public.
Island of Crete is a traveler's guide to Crete. Topics include general
information, history, museums, antiquities, caves, natural landmarks,
churches, and monasteries schedules.
- Crete offers an
aerial tour of the island with photographs and descriptions as well as an
excellent section about Outdoor Activities. Contact information is available
for the Mountaineering Clubs of Iraklion and Hania that schedule a wide range
of activities from easy walks to strenuous peak ascents each summer.
- The E4 (and other Mythical Trails) by Stelios Jackson is an excellent personal account of a 400 mile trek from the west to the east coast of Crete.
- Adventures in Crete provides detailed information about the
E4 European Hiking Trail including trail descriptions and mountain shelters.
Also shown are parasailing and rock climbing sites in Crete.
features a photographic journey through Epirus including the villages of
Zagoria and the ancient oracle of Dodoni. There is an abundance of information
about mountain climbing, kayaking, rafting and other leisure activities in
- Orivatikos.gr. This mostly Greek website of the Alpine Club of Ioannina (EOSI) has a very nice photo gallery of the Pindus Mountains.
- Zagori. Photos and description of the region.
- Zagori Villages. A nice summary with photos by PindosTrek.net.
is a descriptive site that tells the unique history of the clifftop
- Meteora, by the Hellenic Ministry of Culture, has photos and
brief descriptions of the monasteries as well as the hours of opening and
Adventures Great and Small © copyright 1996-2005